[coreboot] Tyan s2912-e (fam10h)

David Hubbard david.c.hubbard+coreboot at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 23:47:24 CEST 2013

Hi Mark,

On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Mark Mc <markymcd13 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I was hoping someone could help me out or point me in the right
> direction with a tyan s2912-e board not booting with coreboot,
> 2x 2419 opterons
> 16GB ECC DDR2 RAM
> Onbard SAS LSI 1064e
> AMD Radeon 7850 2GB
>
> the codes on the onboard POST display (from port 80) are changing so fast
> that I cannot make them out however it is seems by the pattern of codes
> outputted that it is in a loop, are there any particular settings in the
> menuconfig that are required? Or have I missed something obvious?
>
> The system flashes with flashrom no problem
> I have tried booting with 1 CPU and just 1 stick of RAM, removed the PCIe
> GFX card. I have also built coreboot with and without the onboard VGA bios
> but none of this makes any difference, any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

I don't have personal experience with the s2912-e, so these are general
debugging approaches. It could help you find a specific area that is
failing. Then someone else might spot what's going on. :-)

Would it help if you inserted some busy loops at interesting points in the
code? I mean something like for (i = 0; i < 1000000; i++) for (j = 0; j <
1000000; j++) for (k = 0; k < 1000000; k++) { volatile int m = 0; m++; /*to
keep the compiler from optimizing the loop away*/ }

The wiki has information on where the code starts and the overall flow:
http://www.coreboot.org/Developer_Manual#coreboot_Overview

>From that you could place busy loops at strategic points to slow down the
post codes.

Can you get a serial console log?