[coreboot] Tyan s2912-E reset loop, Please help

Kyösti Mälkki kyosti.malkki at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 05:54:08 CEST 2013

On Tue, 2013-09-10 at 02:01 +0100, Mark Mc wrote:
> Hi, I finally got coreboot compiled correctly and I am getting
> somewhere as my console output shows:
>
> coreboot-4.0-4671-g25dd247 Mon Sep  9 23:54:49 BST 2013 starting...
> BSP Family_Model: 00100f80
> *sysinfo range: [000c4000,000c5fa0]
> bsp_apicid = 00
> cpu_init_detectedx = 00000000
> microcode: rev id not found. Skipping microcode patch!
> POST: 0x33
> cpuSetAMDMSR  done
> POST: 0x34
> Enter amd_ht_init()
> AMD_CB_ManualBUIDSwapList()
> AMD_CB_EventNotify()
>  event class: 05
>  event: 2006
>  data:  04  00  02  ff
> Exit amd_ht_init()
> POST: 0x35
> cpuSetAMDPCI 00 done
> Prep FID/VID Node:00
>   F3x80: e600e681
>   F3x84: 80e641e6
>   F3xD4: c3310f27
>   F3xD8: 03000215
>   F3xDC: 00006428
> POST: 0x36
> core0 started:
> start_other_cores()
> init node: 00  cores: 05
> Start other core - nodeid: 00  cores: 05
> POST: 0x37
> started ap apicid: * AP 01started
> * AP 02started
> * AP 03started
> * AP 04started
> * AP 05started
>

> INIT detected from  --- { APICID = 00 NODEID = 00 COREID = 00} ---
> Issuing SOFT_RESET...
>

> However it just keeps looping like this, any guidance would be really
> appreciated, so far I have tried booting with just 1 dimm (4GB),1 CPU
> (opteron 2419) and no PCI-E cards, both stable and master seabios
> payloads but so far absolutely no difference.

First increase MAX_CPUS in src/mainboard/tyan/2912/Kconfig from 4 to 12.

If that alone does not work, try change SERIAL_CPU_INIT=yes in same
file. Additionally in menuconfig under consoles, try with
SQUELCH_EARLY_SMP=no.

Last two changes should not be required, just something to try as they
will slow down the boot sequence and give more output on serial console.

Remember that after modifying any Kconfig file, you need a clean build:
  make clean && make oldconfig && make

Regards,
  Kyösti