[coreboot] Please advise: (new toolkit) crossgcc fails on ubuntu 32/64 bit fresh installs

David Hubbard david.c.hubbard+coreboot at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 08:11:40 CEST 2013

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:

> Andrew Wu wrote:
> > You can see util/crossgcc/Makefile :
> >

> > all: build
> >
> > build:
> >     bash ./buildgcc -G -p i386-elf
> >     bash ./buildgcc -G -p armv7a-eabi
>
> IMNSHO this is a stupid problem seriously in need of an intelligent
> solution.
>
> I can not understand the rationale for defaulting to what is clearly
> NOT the common case; i386 *and* armv7a.
>
> This is not the first time that the above has caused problems, I can
> not understand why this was introduced in the first place (it seems
> pretty obvious that it will cause problems) and I can not understand
> why it is *still* there even after multiple problem reports.
>
> Is every single developer suffering from total tunnel vision? Come on.

I didn't want to say anything.

My locally modified util/crossgcc/Makefile does not do armv7, but instead:

bash ./buildgcc -j $(shell awk '/^processor/{n=n+1}END{print n+1}'
/proc/cpuinfo) -p i386-elf

It would be preferable to read /sys/devices/system/cpu/online but the
format is not machine-friendly which would make for a lot of coding to work
around it.

Who is the maintainer of the build system? I assume someone who also
administers gerrit, yes?

David