[coreboot] Coreboot Haswell Support

Patrick Georgi patrick at georgi-clan.de
Tue Sep 17 13:42:45 CEST 2013

Am 2013-09-17 09:36, schrieb Stojsavljevic, Zoran:
> I am not sure what is your scenario here. If you are attempting to
> bring HSW to grub, and then to Linux, Coreboot is not required, as far
> as you are using classical EFI BIOS or new UEFI BIOS (AMI, Phoenix,
> Insyde).
There's nothing said about GRUB or Linux in his mail - since he didn't
go into detail on what he's planning, for all we know his project might
be fundamentally incompatible with EFI, "Unified" or not.

Anyway, reasons why UEFI might not be suitable for users (no matter if
GRUB or not):
- The IBVs's track record in product quality is rather mixed (Samsung's
UEFI variable issue, for example. More examples: all the BIOS
workarounds within Linux)
- IBV's products aren't open source
- UEFI's footprint is at least five times that of a coreboot solution in
terms of lines of code (yes, I measured it)
- the previous two issues make any quality and/or security assessment of
UEFI solutions harder than of a coreboot solution

I didn't think that these types of arguments need any more mention on
the coreboot mailing list, but here we are...

> As my best understanding is, mrc.bin was released by Google in the
> best effort to support minimalistic approach (mrc.bin equivalent to
> x-loader) with Coreboot SNB (I guess, applies for IVB as well) support
> (Google did created mrc.bin with some internal INTEL group support).
Yes, and Google's "best effort" only had to happen because Intel isn't
willing to support their customers' wishes.

> All these are now called Firmware Support Packages (FSPs), and they
> have locked IPs, sole property of INTEL. Please, read the following,
> widely available on INTEL external web site:
"locked IPS, sole property of INTEL" is probably not a very appropriate
slogan when interacting with an open source community.

> http://www.intel.com/fsp
> http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/training/intel-firmware-support-package-technical-training.pdf
Since nothing but whitepapers is published on FSP yet, this can be
safely considered vaporware.

> I am not sure about HSW FSP roadmap, I think HSW FSP is officially not
> released yet.
Indeed.

Maybe you can figure out a schedule for when we can expect an FSP binary
that we can host in our 3rdparty repository under the same terms as the
current MRC binaries?
That is, if FSP ever gets released at all (even Duke Nukem Forever did
eventually happen, so let's hope)

Regards,
Patrick