[coreboot] Coreboot Haswell Support

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 17:15:16 CEST 2013

There is haswell support in coreboot. The recently demonstrated
laptops at IDF have it, and intel even mentioned coreboot on a slide.
In fact the HP chromebook which was demoed has no video bios; all the
firmware video functions on that one are source-based. For the latest
code you can see the chromium OS repo. We are upstreaming as fast as
we can to coreboot.org, but it's a huge job.

For SNB and IVB, Google clearly had permission from Intel to release
the mrc.bin, since if we had not had permission, we would not have
uploaded it. About 18 months ago we were asked to upload it and we did
upload it; QED.

You might perhaps read between the lines as to whether Google has been
given permission to release the HSW mrc.bin, i.e. you might conclude
that since it has not been uploaded, Google does not have permission.
If Intel were not to grant Google permission to release the mrc.bin, I
think that would be a regrettable situation, to say the least; that
said, I am not saying either way whether permission has been granted,
will be granted, or will not be granted. I am only suggesting that you
could draw your own conclusions. I also feel that in a better world,
that mrc.bin would have been uploaded to coreboot.org by now or we
would have a URL for where to download it. I'm not holding my breath.

Until FSP has an actual, binary release, it is vaporware and slide
decks. So, yes, people can tell us with the best of intentions that it
is coming; I have not seen it. No one I know has seen it. Some people
that know some people say they have seen it. I suggest that you put
"FSP' in the same category as "Santa Claus" until you have it on your
system.

There's a reason all my current coreboot work is on ARM.

ron