[coreboot] vga & serial debug support when building grub2 as payload

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Sep 23 18:21:13 CEST 2013

Dear Tank Tang,

Am Sonntag, den 22.09.2013, 16:20 +0800 schrieb jstkf2012 at 126.com:

> I am a bios engineer from Byosoft.

welcome to coreboot! Communicating on mailing lists, please make sure to
follow the netiquette [1]. Especially, please just send plain text
message with no HTML parts.

> Unfortunately, I meet 2 questions about building Grub2 as coreboot's payload.
> (1)How can I enable vga support during post?
> I have configure the following token:
> CONFIG_VGA_ROM_RUN=y
> CONFIG_VGA_BIOS=y
>               CONFIG_VGA_BIOS_ID="8086,0166"
>               CONFIG_VGA_BIOS_FILE="./src/vbios.bin"
>  But it seems that it doesn't make sence.Is there something need I to do in Grub2 to support vga.

What board do you use?

If coreboot successfully runs the VGA BIOS/Option ROM (and if it is
needed), GRUB 2 should be able to display text on the monitor. I am
successfully doing that on the ASRock E350M1.

Do you get graphics with SeaBIOS as a payload and letting SeaBIOS run
the VGA BIOS/Option ROM?

> (2)How can I enable serial prot debug after Grub2 Payload is loaded?
> I have add the following to grub.cfg and use "grub-mkimage -c ./grub.cfg ......." to make the Grub2.elf.
>                 serial --speed=115200 --unit=0 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1
>                 terminal_input --append  serial
>                 terminal_output --append serial
>
> But it doesn't work after grub2 payload is called!

That should work. Do you get serial output with coreboot? Do you get
serial output from the GRUB installed on your hard disk?

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Mailing_list_netiquette