[coreboot] How to best add new boards derived from existing board?

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Sep 30 09:27:16 CEST 2013

Am Sonntag, den 29.09.2013, 23:31 +0200 schrieb Patrick Georgi:
> Am 29.09.2013 23:16, schrieb Paul Menzel:
> > With the current approach it is difficult to see the actual changes to
> > the template board. Especially in Gerrit. Therefore these board support
> > patches are hard to review.
>
> By fixing the tools. My main gripe with git still is its lack of serious
> file rename/copy tracking (though that can be worked around manually
> locally).
> While I can't speak for the git/gerrit communities, I'd guess they
> accept patches.

Sure, though unrealistic in my opinion. But until git is fixed, the
problem of carefully and easily reviewing such patches persists.

> As for what we can do with our own tools, and in particular on AMD
> boards: cut down on the duplication. There's lots of stuff in mainboards
> that - to me - looks it really belongs into chipset code. That should
> simplify reviews even more than hacks to work around git's metadata
> tracking limitations.

Agreed. But nobody has done this either and have not heard of somebody
working on this.

While I agree, that the above is the better solution, I think it is
unrealistic to assume, that this is going to happen in the foreseeable
future. In my opinion, the duplication is not going to be removed, until
patches adding them are accepted and pushed. And that seems unfeasible
too.

Thanks,

Paul