[coreboot] Fans and BIOS

Stefan Reinauer stefan.reinauer at coreboot.org
Tue Apr 15 23:55:34 CEST 2014

* Vitor Augusto <vitorafsr at gmail.com> [140412 03:04]:
> Hello.
>
> I'm searching for any information about where (memory, IO port, etc.)
> the status (on or off) of the fans of a laptop are stored. Anything is
> very welcome! This is to improve the compatibility of i8kutils package
> at Linux. The site of the development is
> "https://launchpad.net/i8kutils".

Hi Vitor,

FAN speed is usually controlled by the EC / SuperIO. There is no
generally available unified interface for that like Dell's SMM
interface. You might want to look at the ACPI interface to get something
more unified. Controlling hardware directly will be a lot of work for
all the devices out there.

Stefan