[coreboot] Chromium Upstreaming / Introduction

Stefan Reinauer stefan.reinauer at coreboot.org
Tue Aug 5 23:41:11 CEST 2014

* Patrick Georgi <patrick at georgi-clan.de> [140805 21:32]:

> Am 05.08.2014 um 20:36 schrieb Stefan Reinauer:
> > Are you suggesting that the needs have changed here?
>
> My only concern here would be to keep rebase/merge et al more
> functional, but it's probably already too late for that in the current
> state.

Unfortunately, without significant amounts of testing, there is no
guarantee that any given configuration in the Chromium HEAD or coreboot
upstream HEAD will actually work on a given hardware. for every single
build. If you want something that is tested for a given product, you
will have to use a product firmware branch.

If you want to make changes to a given configuration, you will have to
have equipment and knowledge in place to test and fix up your
configuration yourself. That's certainly not something you'd get for
free in any open source project, and particularly not in a hardware
related project.

> I suppose, once the trees are somewhat synchronized, one could build a
> merge commit between both histories to create a new baseline - and
> redo that every now and then.

The idea is indeed that the pain will go away if synchronization happens
more regularly in both directions.

Stefan