[coreboot] x60 : trying to boot to a debian in less than 2 seconds

Charles Devereaux coreboot at guylhem.net
Tue Aug 26 05:40:43 CEST 2014

Hello

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 6:21 PM, Paul Menzel <
paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> 1. So what are your coreboot numbers? (Also what `.config` and what
> payload (with `.config`) do you use?)

Coreboot delays are not added to the reported boot delays. I do not try to
optimize coreboot yet, as my knowledge of coreboot is too limited.
Suggestions would be welcome though (it will be a second step, along with a
minimal grub2)

Here is the .config I use on a coreboot version from GNUtoo. I plan to
transition to a libreboot version as soon as I have solved a few things

> 2. What hardware do you use? Especially what SSD?

The cheapest Kingston 120G I could find on Amazon, reported to the kernel
as:
KINGSTON SV300S37A120G, 521ABBF0,

 3. Do you use the default Linux kernel shipped with Debian?

No, I compile my own kernel using vanilla kernel.org sources. The first
attempt  was with a 3.10.45 without any module (cf
http://libreboot.org/docs/future/fastboot/x60.config), but I plan to use a
more recent kernel with a minimum number of modules to have a faster boot.
The .config is attached for 3.14.16 which I'm using

> 4. Which Debian release do you use?

At the moment, jessie, but the initial test was with a stable, so I will
keep reporting test results with a debian stable.

5. Which init system do you use?

systemd 2.10, compiled using the scripts on
http://libreboot.org/docs/future/fastboot/get-systemd.sh. I'm preparing an
blog entry explaining that in more details.

> That sounds indeed possible. How do you measure the timings?

With systemd-analyze

> contact the Linux Intel graphics folks. Best is to submit a bug report.
> Let’s hope to get that fixed for Debian Jessie, which is going to be

frozen in November [1].

Will do. It might indeed be a kernel bug, or incomplete support of
i915.fastboot for systems without a bios.