[coreboot] [RFC] board_status: Add serial log to `serial_console.txt`

Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko phcoder at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 00:04:33 CET 2014

On 10.02.2014 23:47, David Hendricks wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 4:50 AM, Paul Menzel
> <paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
> <mailto:paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net>> wrote:
>
>     Dear coreboot folks,
>

>     currently no coreboot messages are stored for boards not supporting
>     CBMEM console (or where this option is disabled (currently by default))
>     or no coreboot *romstage* messages are stored for boards, where the data
>     cannot be preserved (passed to ramstage).
>
>     Using the serial (or USB) console all these messages can be captured
>     with no problem, so I propose to just add these captured messages into
>     the file `serial_console.txt`. Of course this file probably contains
>     also the payload and (Linux) kernel log, but I think that is fine.
>
>     SeaBIOS’ `readserial.py` should be used for capturing the messages as it
>     adds time stamps.
>
>     Scripting this is going to be hard, as the log is captured on a
>     different system. So for now I propose to add it manually.
>

> I don't think the script itself should be responsible for collecting
> serial output. Instead, how about adding an argument to override the
> default behavior of running "cbmem -c" on the target so that the user
> can pass in a filename? The user will simply capture the serial output
> using whatever tool they like, dump the output to a text file, and run
> the script with an argument to use the file instead of calling "cbmem
> -c". Here is a proof-of-concept: http://review.coreboot.org/#/c/5191 .

This requires user to do right manipulations. While keyboard and chair
are usually fine, the space between them exhibits strong bug-inducing
properties. The idea of the script is to reduce a possibility of user
error creating strange reports. In this case the common erro I expect is
using a stale file fom some other version. It's a particularly nasty one
as at first glance in may look fine but would be almost useless to track
how details changed from one submit to the next. If we let user supply
files at all, it should be added to report, not replace files, and it
should have some prefix to clearly indicate that user was involved in
creating them. E.g. user_serial_log.txt