[coreboot] licensing text

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 08:30:04 CET 2014

This note is motivated by mr.nuke.me's recent CLs with a short-form GPL
notice in them. I like that notice but I think it needs a tweak, then we
can just use it everywhere.

I just got done relicensing a different project under the GPL. In the
process I had to discuss wording and such with Eben Moglen.

Based on his suggestions the other project ended up with a very standard
form which I've adapted for coreboot.

In each file, we'd have this to replace the current pile of text.

"This file is part of Coreboot Project. It is subject to the license terms
in the LICENSE file found in the top-level directory of this distribution
and at http://www.coreboot.org/license.html. No part of the Coreboot
Project, including this file, may be copied, modified, propagated, or
distributed except according to the terms contained in the LICENSE file."

OK, I admit, I painted it because I'm sure the shed will end up with a
different color :-)
Yes, yes, no html formatting in emails etc. etc. but sometimes rules must
be broken.

I regret that it contains a URL, but in these dark times, one must make
concessions.

But before we go much further, it's probably a good time to get this
standard short-form text right, before we end up with another pile of
license text in files that doesn't match anything else.

So, does this work or do people have objections?

ron