[coreboot] A Growing Concern

mrnuke mr.nuke.me at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 22:19:29 CET 2014

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 12:21:38 AM amloerx at tfwno.gf wrote:
> As a privacy and freedom oriented PC/Linux user, it scares me how modern
> day devices are becoming extremely proprietary. Companies are beginning
> to ship their laptops/tablets with proprietary EFI systems which have
> some nasty things in them. I recently purchased a Dell Venue 8 Pro(one
> of many upcoming 8" windows 8.1(x86) tablets) and while i was searching
> through its BIOS, i noticed that it had the computrace option activated

Well, it's your fault that this concern is growing. You bought a windows
device. You paid microsoft to develop proprietary software, and you paid an
IVB to develop proprietary firmware, instead of paying someone to develop free
software and firmware for your device. The market is rich enough to allow you
to make that choice.

> All I ask of you is to try and make EFI alternatives to all these
> upcoming devices.

So, you paid someone to write firmware, which you neither trust nor like, but
want me to do it for free?

If software/firmware freedom is important to you, then I suggest you return
the device to the store -- assuming you have this option -- and purchase a
device which offers you what you want.

Alex