[coreboot] how to model the Quark architecture

mrnuke mr.nuke.me at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 20:12:54 CET 2014

On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 07:28:04 PM Peter Stuge wrote:
> Stojsavljevic, Zoran wrote:
> > This what I have proposed binds to current Coreboot FSP support/framework
>
> Even though seamless integration of FSP with upstream coreboot is
> probably what Intel would want that approach is not neccessarily a
> satisfactory solutoin for the greater coreboot community.

It's the worst solution, and a lot of persons in the community, myself
included, are very opposed to anything of the nature. If one wants to use
coreboot, then one should be prepared to provide coreboot-quality source. If
providing source is not something that person/company wants to do, then
coreboot is not for them. There are other options in the market. As a rights
holder in the coreboot project, I am of the opinion that distributing coreboot
with FSP binaries whose source is not also provided is a violation of the
coreboot license and an infringement of my copyright.

We've allowed libpayload to be BSD-licensed in order to allow proprietary
blobs. The payload and onward is where blobs can appear without source, but
not any earlier. The intention is, in my view, that anything doing with
essential hardware initialization --the stuff needed to load a payload and
boot the OS-- must come with a GPLv2 compatible license. Anything else is up
for grabs in the payload.

Alex