[coreboot] Are any Chromebooks able to run fully libre?

mrnuke mr.nuke.me at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 23:01:29 CET 2014

On Thursday, January 02, 2014 09:16:25 PM Sam Kuper wrote:
> My earlier question about the Acer C7/C710 and HP Pavilion 14 was
> motivated by the following consideration: if they have not been found
> to have CPU errata warranting uploading of CPU microcode, then they
> might be (at least in this respect) preferable to the X60 which forces
> the user to choose between uploading microcode or running with known
> vulnerabilities.*

What are you talking about? x86 Chromebooks ship with microcode updates. And
how exactly is a CPU different if the microcode update is patched in the
factory rather than uploaded at boot? It's the same microcode in the end.

This microcode discussion is ridiculous: I'm not going to change the oil in my
engine because I don't understand how it lubricates the crankshaft.

Alex