[coreboot] Are any Chromebooks able to run fully libre?

David Hubbard david.c.hubbard+coreboot at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 14:21:00 CET 2014

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 4:14 AM, Sam Kuper <sam.kuper at uclmail.net> wrote:

> What would you recommend as a good primer (textbook; website; manual;
> whatever) that would give someone with limited experience enough knowledge
> to avoid making that mistake and others like it?
>
> I think Peter means the IBM PC architecture: the legacy layer on layer
from the original IBM PC to modern laptops. To a first approximation,
Coreboot can be considered an attempt to replace a big chunk of it with
free software, so I'd guess most people on this list would never confuse
the Programmable Interrupt Controller with the Microchip PIC CPU. After
Coreboot hands over control to the OS kernel, it's really amazing how much
abstraction hides the reality of the system from the OS. (And then the OS
hides even more details from userspace, and so forth.)

To directly answer what you asked, start here:
http://wiki.osdev.org/Main_Page - it may take a while, especially if you're
not the intended audience (writing a custom OS from scratch), but it's a
good overview.

Regards,
David