[coreboot] Remove GENERATE_ACPI_TABLES

mrnuke mr.nuke.me at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 00:12:58 CET 2014

On Monday, January 06, 2014 07:52:20 PM Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
wrote:
> By now most boards and OS don't run correctly if ACPI tables are not
> supplied. Ability by user to enable/disable their generation is just
> increasing configuration matrix for no benefit. So I propose to hardwire
> it to HAVE_ACPI_TABLES.

You mean you haven't found a need for it in your recent use cases. I don't
think this can be used to generalize for all boards, and is most certainly a
naive proposal for ARM boards. So you end up depending this shit on ARCH_x86,
then ARM adds ACPI, then it again makes sense to HAVE_ACPI_TABLES, but only
for ARM, so now we make it depend on ARCH_ARM, and we get a clusterfuck by the
end of the day.
At the end of it all, you are proposing to take away a freedom that has hurt
no-one. -2. I can't see the justification.

> I feel like in current config there are too many options of kind "Do you
> want a working system? (y/n)" and they should be hardwired to right
> answer rather than adding configuration.

Flashing coreboot is a minefield of these questions: "Do you want to brick your
system? (ok/cancel)". You can't make it fool proof, and nanny-state-ing users
is not the solution. Provide sane defaults.

Alex

P.S. If you don't know what you're doing, you will brick your board, no matter
how many coreboot condoms you wear.