[coreboot] sgabios no console output from Seabios (was: coreboot Digest, Vol 113, Issue 17)

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jul 14 00:46:29 CEST 2014

Dear Wen,

Am Sonntag, den 13.07.2014, 17:35 -0400 schrieb Wen Wang:

> Attached please find the console log for coreboot and seabios (not really
> anything).

very strange.

        $ grep SERIAL payloads/external/SeaBIOS/Makefile.inc
        	echo "CONFIG_DEBUG_SERIAL=y" >> $(OUT)/seabios/.config
        	echo "CONFIG_DEBUG_SERIAL_PORT=0x3f8" >> $(OUT)/seabios/.config

Could you take a look at the file `.config` in the build directory of
SeaBIOS and check that everything is set correctly?

How did you capture the log? I guess the serial console, but want to
make sure. I have no idea why the SeaBIOS messages go missing.

You could try to configure build SeaBIOS yourself and add that to the image.

You could try to enable CBMEM console in coreboot and in SeaBIOS. No
coreboot messages will be captured to my knowledge on Intel devices with
FSP software, but maybe the SeaBIOS messages survive. You can read it
out with `cbmem -c` from `util/cbmem/`.

> Since my board does not have a physical VGA adapter. I did not configure
> anything for VGA in coreboot.  Do I need to configure anything to tell
> coreboot to load the sgabios? As you can see in the log, there is nothing
> indicating coreboot loading the sgabios.

SeaBIOS should load all the Option ROMs.

By the way, what is your use case for SGABIOS?

Thanks,

Paul

> PS: I set my outlook to send plain text. Hope the setting works. :-)

It worked! Thanks a lot! Two more nitpicks as you use digest mode.
Please update the summary of the message and also add the correct
In-Reply-To header field so that the messages are threaded correctly. I
guess the second thing is not easy to do in Microsoft Outlook. Maybe
just deactivate the digest mode and use the “normal” mode as long as you
are actively communicating with the list.