[coreboot] x60 : TPM (and LEDs) point to ACPI issues

Charles Devereaux coreboot at guylhem.net
Fri Jul 18 04:53:27 CEST 2014

Hello,

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:

> Charles Devereaux wrote:
> > BTW, here seem to be other ACPI issues.
>
> Yes, there are lots of known issues.
>
> They can all be solved by someone who knows how to solve them, or who
> spends the time to learn how to solve them, and then spends the time
> to implement the solutions.

I'm sorry if this came as criticizing the work that was done. This was not
the intention.

Basically, I am so surprised with how good the x60t is on Linux that I want
to make it my "main" computer.

At the moment, I'm still trying to replicate various things to know exactly
what exactly will work and what won't (for ex, still can't get a seabios to
show me anything while I know from
http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2014-February/077306.html that
it should work from grub2 with native video), to see if I can live with the
remaining issues.

I was especially surprised since after investigating the TPM by sheer
curiosity, I was trying to write a script to make one led blink when the
stylus is out so that I won't lose it - and that it couldn't work because
of what turned out to also be ACPI issues.

I didn't see the TPM and LEDs issues mentioned on
http://www.coreboot.org/Board:lenovo/x60 where only the modem is indicated
in yellow (will check that soon) and the LEDs are said to be "Working
without special support" (like thinkpad_acpi after some suggested changes)
so I  reported my findings without any bad intentions.

I'd be interested to know about the rest of this lot of known issues - I'd
love to fix whatever I can while I have some time this summer, even if it
might get complicated (ex: I'd like get and set the battery charge
start/stop threshold but this requires tp-smapi), so that my new "main"
computer is ready for fall.  (or at least I'll know beforehand what won't
work)

To start with something practical, regarding devicetree.cb, is there any
information on how to use a iasl dump to add the missing things? I've read
http://www.coreboot.org/Creating_A_devicetree.cb but it's quite sparse.

I'll try with a replacement DSDT tomorrow, but it's more like a hack to
make sure that nothing else is needed.

Charles