[coreboot] Naming for identical chips with different model numbers due to different package variants

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Mon Jun 2 23:47:39 CEST 2014

ron minnich wrote:
> some vendor will come up with a way to break a naming scheme.

The point is to not put things into the name (which is a plain string)
that aren't part of the vendor's name.

The only "scheme" that makes sense is to name things what they are.

This requires handling each and every case individually and carefully.

Trying to mechanically apply some standard or other is not useful.

I think we agree that each chip may have a new naming model. What is
important for coreboot is so incredibly simple:

Just represent the vendor's identification accurately. It is their
namespace.

//Peter