[coreboot] Naming for identical chips with different model numbers due to different package variants

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue Jun 3 20:54:42 CEST 2014

Felix Held wrote:
> the suffix is part of the name.

No it isn't. The suffix is part of the part number. The part number
is not the same thing as the chip name.

> I think I keep NCT6776D as name and change the chip description to
> CHIP_NAME("NUVOTON NCT6776D/F Super I/O")
> Seems to be the best solution to me.

Please don't do that. Please fix the name to correspond to the real
world. The code you are writing is communicating with a piece of
hardware that is expected to behave a certain way. Which package
the hardware comes in is utterly irrelevant for the behavior of the
hardware in this case, so please do not garble the name with that noise.

Thank you

//Peter