[coreboot] Intel FSP on Bayley Bay CRB: No output

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 17:02:32 CEST 2014

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 1:11 AM, Gerald Otter <gerald.otter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just for my own understanding; is it common for microcode loading to be
> required as part of the booting process, as opposed to being optional
> updates?

Yes. Long ago, we let the kernel load microcode. Then, at some point, on
some CPUs, it became essential to load microcode before booting the kernel.

The point at which microcode must be loaded has moved several times, and
now it is essential to load it in some cases before the payload is loaded.

Even in the case that a modern CPU might boot without loading microcode,
you are taking your chances. You can get silent data corruption if you
don't load the correct microcode. You might end up with files containing
garbage data because you are not running microcode containing bug fixes.

ron