[coreboot] x60s tablet question : optimized kernel, coreboot with the video fix and serial ports support

derpeter lists at derpeter.net
Wed Jun 11 11:46:17 CEST 2014

On 30.05.2014 17:47, Charles Devereaux wrote:
> Hello
>
> I recently purchased a x60s tablet to learn more about coreboot, and
> how to make the boot process as fast as possible. The wacom
> capabilities are important as this machine will also be used to take
> notes - so I figured I would just apply the patches for the video fix
> and serial ports support
>
> I applied in this order:
>
> - the video fix described on http://www.libreboot.org/howto.html :
> $ git clone http://review.coreboot.org/coreboot
> $ cd coreboot
> $ git fetch http://review.coreboot.org/coreboot refs/changes/20/5320/6
> && git checkout FETCH_HEAD
> $ git fetch http://review.coreboot.org/coreboot refs/changes/45/5345/1
> && git cherry-pick FETCH_HEAD
>
> In src/mainboard/lenovo/x60/devicetree.cb, change register
> "gpu_backlight" = "0x1280128" to register "gpu_backlight" = "0x879F879E"
>
> - the motherboard recon (needed by serial port)
> on http://review.coreboot.org/#/c/5246/5
>
> git fetch http://review.coreboot.org/coreboot refs/changes/46/5246/6
> && git checkout FETCH_HEAD
>
> - the serial port on http://review.coreboot.org/#/c/5239/ :
>
> git fetch http://review.coreboot.org/coreboot refs/changes/39/5239/17
> && git checkout FETCH_HEAD
>
> - the irda fix on http://review.coreboot.org/#/c/5242/:
>
> git fetch http://review.coreboot.org/coreboot refs/changes/42/5242/15
> && git checkout FETCH_HEAD
>
> Problem is, after running the sequence of git commands, the video fix
> is gone.
>
> I created a new branch as suggested by git to keep the patches (git
> branch new_branch_name ....), but since I never played with git before
> I guess I did something wrong.
>
> I could take the patches and manually apply them (in fact I'm about to
> do that!), but I wonder what is the proper way to do it - and also if
> I'm missing any important recent patch not mentioned in the online guides.
>
> Also, would anyone here already have a .config for a more or less
> kernel finetuned (ie no useless peripherals or modules) for a x60
> using coreboot? Starting from a good base would save some time.

I tried this last month. I cherrypickt everything execpt the video fix
and got a working coreboot.
Sadly i could not bring the wacom to work but i'm not sure if its a
problem of coreboot or linux.
As soon as i'm at the place where the maschine is i will copy my image
and the patched coreboot
so you can have a trie with it. I assume this won't happen bevor end of
the week.

> Thanks for any help !

cheers derpeter