[coreboot] coreboot engineer needed

Scott Duplichan scott at notabs.org
Sat Jun 21 08:20:03 CEST 2014

A coreboot at coreboot.org subscriber wrote:

]Hi Scott,
]
]It appears they are looking for a full-time position. If they were
]willing to outsource, I would be interested.

It might be useful to apply anyway. Others have pointed out
that most of the coreboot experts are located in Europe.
If a few engineers from remote or non-US locations responded,
it might get the hiring manager interested.

I point out this job offer because the recent Intel coreboot
openings are unique in an important aspect. Today, a BIOS
engineer who wants the security, pay and other benefits of
working for a major computer OEM must learn to be happy
living in the world of UEFI, including its rules, regulations,
mandates, laws, restrictions, enforcements, and "coding standard".
Want to use features of C99? Sorry, Microsoft doesn't support
that. Want to use static functions? Sorry, those are banned.
Want to use a comma operator? Sorry, forbidden. Want to start
a local variable name with a lower case letter? Sorry, prohibited.
Want to write ugly code full of dangerous type casts, spaghetti
gotos, and countless global variables? You're in luck. Today, the
Intel coreboot openings are the only non-UEFI BIOS jobs that I know of.

Thanks,
Scott