[coreboot] T60 - what went wrong?

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue Mar 4 22:18:58 CET 2014

Marcus Moeller wrote:
> spi_block_erase_d8 failed during command execution at address 0x1f0000
..
> Which is quite similar to the error referenced in this mail:
>
> http://www.flashrom.org/pipermail/flashrom/2012-April/009124.html

Right, the flashing was successful up until the last 64kb, which is
expected.

> So I tried to reboot, but the machine does not come up anymore. I am going
> to try to flash it, using an external prommer now, but I need to know what
> went wrong.

Define does not come up? How have you determined this? What ways of
debugging do you have? Note that the screen backlight level defaults
to backlight essentially off, after flashing coreboot. This is a
really stupid property of the code, which I consider to be a bug.

A coreboot built with serial console output, high debug log level and
a docking station with null modem cable to another machine is the
most reliable method.

I assume you've set bucts 1 and that you've duplicated the top 64kb
of coreboot.rom, according to the steps on the wiki page.

And that you've built coreboot.rom using the crossgcc toolchain
rather than the toolchain distribution which is usually broken.

Beyond that, the tree could of course also have been broken by
someone making changes to code that is relevant for the T60.

> Is there perhaps a prebuild image for initial flashing available,
> that I could use?

Not really no. :\

//Peter