[coreboot] Build Coreboot Google Rambi SPD fail with ubuntu dash shell

Kurt Qiao kurtqqh at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 14:24:17 CET 2014

Hi everyone,

  i just met a problem when i try to build coreboot google mainboard rambi,
the spd.bin got incorrect content, and thanks for help from the great
pgeorgi, finally problem solved.

root cause: ubuntu 12.04 x86_64, and default shell use dash.
solution: change to use bash as default,  you can just 'sudo
dpkg-reconfigure dash',
and choose 'no'.

  the rambi spd make file may be updated to solve problem, hope my
share can help other
people like me, it really confuse me for couple of hours.

-----below's in detail-------------
  i use ubuntu 12.04 x86_64, with gcc46
 1. i git coreboot with git clone http://review.coreboot.org/p/coreboot
 2. make menuconfig
    and select mainboard with google/rambi
 3. make
    and everything goes well with build success.

  but when i check the spd.bin file, the content of spd.bin look like below:
  ---------spd.bin-------
  -e -n \x92
  -e -n \x11
  -e -n \x0b
  -e -n \x03
  -----------------------------
  check 'src/mainboard/google/rambi/spd/Makefile.inc', will see below:
---------
# Include spd rom data
$(SPD_BIN): $(SPD_DEPS)
    for f in $+; \
      do for c in $$(cat $$f | grep -v ^#); \
        do echo -e -n "\\x$$c"; \
      done; \
    done > $@
  when i modify the makefile to use 'printf' instead of 'echo -e -n',
nothing in spd.bin after build.
  as patrick said, printf should also work when use dash. i still have
no idea why
this problem happened to me.
  thanks again for patrick and paule.
BR,