[coreboot] Friendly reminder: Please just send plain text messages to the list

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Wed Mar 12 14:55:57 CET 2014

mrnuke wrote:
> I don't care what data plan you have.

I think that's careless and inconsiderate, Alex. Not two nice traits.

> When you come to a public list, you should be prepared to adapt to
> the needs of the community using that list,

I think this is a valid point.

> not the other way around.

I disagree with this for the general case. I think it's just as
important that a community is prepared to adapt to needs of new
members.

> But seriously? 30 MB data plan? I didn't know they sell those anymore.

So you are ignorant about data plans across the world. So are most
people, myself included. Be mindful of this, and don't make
assumptions that other people live under the same circumstances as
yourself.

> I have to really shop around to get anything less than 1GB.
> I admit, I just happen to have unlimited data (remember, we're in
> the space age now).

Germany, where Paul and I both live, is significantly worse connected
than many other nations, indeed worse than the US and significantly
worse than both Romania and Sweden.

However, what is available on the market in the US, in Romania or in
Sweden is completely irrelevant for everyone who lives in Germany,
and in other badly-connected nations.

We don't want to exclude them because other parts of the world have
better connectivity.

> I don't usually use a mobile connection to check my email, but when I do,
> it's because I'm bored.

That's perfectly fine, but that is only your life situation.

> Seriously, don't use your mobile plan for reading html email if
> it's such a big issue for you.

I don't think this is a constructive comment. I think Paul wouldn't
use a mobile phone for email unless it meant some benefits for him.
Maybe it's what allows him to contribute to coreboot while he
commutes. I don't know.

> All in all, this request seems selfish,

I don't see a conflict between Paul's reminder and the general
community well-being. Paul sent a request/reminder because HTML email
is problematic for him and I think that's the right thing to do.

Mailing lists are usually plain text so it is a reasonable thing to
send. If someone finds plain text email more problematic than HTML
then I hope they will also send a message.

> while I agree we don't really need HTML email for this list, it's
> a nice way to piss off people every once in a while.

We don't need any of that in this project.

> It's fun.

No it's not. It's just nonsense which detracts from what we actually
want to be doing.

> I measure common sense compliance as the inverse of the number of people
> I piss off. It's always a relative measure, but a damn fine one.

How will you know whom you piss off unless they speak out?

It seems that you are dismissing someone who has spoken out on the
grounds that you don't hear many enough who speak out. How ironic.

> You just aren't that likable.

There's a German saying which goes something like this:

What Klaus says about Peter says more about Klaus than about Peter.

Keep in mind that what you say is what determines how you are perceived.

//Peter