[coreboot] GSoC-2014 Coreboot project

David Hendricks dhendrix at google.com
Wed Mar 19 22:18:40 CET 2014

Hi Jinyi,
Can you provide more details about your work as a BIOS engineer?

As Vladimir said, if the chipset is unsupported then writing MRC for it
will be a very long and difficult process. If the chipset is supported then
adding mainboard support may be a relatively simple task that not
sufficient for GSoC.

If you have experience with UEFI, perhaps you can implement features that
are missing in our Tianocore support: http://www.coreboot.org/TianoCore .

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 6:06 AM, Allen Yan <lexkde at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am Jinyi Yan , a second year PhD candidate from Shanghai Institute
> of Micro-system and Information Technology, Chinese Academy of
> Sciences. I used to be a mainboard BIOS engineer in ASUS Technology
> Suzhou Co., Ltd for about two years (2007.7~2009.2). My major now is
> optoelectronics. But I have a lot of fun while programming, in my
> heart the working experience of being a BIOS engineer is still very
> exciting.
> I think GsoC is a nice platform for me to participate the open source
> community. When I search the GsoC projects and organizations, the
> coreboot and flashrom projects are definitely the right choices for
> me. I have a spare ASUS P5KPL PC at my hand, but the chipset is not in
> the support list of coreboot project.
> As Stefan Tauner's suggestion, maybe porting coreboot to new mainboard
> or implementing advanced coreboot features on exsiting mainboards are
> nice too.
> Now I'm not very familiar with the program structure of coreboot, so I
> expect your guidence and hope to contribute for coreboot and flashrom
> even if my application is not accpeted.
> Thanks! Look forward to your kind advice!
> Regards,
> Jinyi Yan
>
> --

David Hendricks (dhendrix)