[coreboot] A new, modern coreboot long-term support laptop

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 25 09:05:48 CET 2014

Am Montag, den 24.03.2014, 22:36 -0700 schrieb David Hendricks:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 9:10 PM, mrnuke <mr.nuke.me at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Chose the hardware. Set up a github temporary fork. Send me the hardware. I
> > got Pomona, I got SPI, I got USB debug, and I got the burning desire to
> > make this happen.
>
> I like your attitude. See if there's a laptop that looks doable in the
> ~$500 range, buy two of 'em, and tell me how to reimburse you.
>
> Note: $$$ would come from my own pocket and has nothing to do with my
> employer.

David, thank you for that offer.

Vladimir also hinted in #coreboot, if the hardware would be given to him
he *could* try a port (with no promises of course). He was on vacation,
so I waited to bring this up on the list. I am sure more people would
sponsor such an effort. The question is how to best do that, so people
do not get problems with taxes and so on?

A Kickstarter/something similar campaign?

If at least Alex and Vladimir participate, we’d need two to four
laptops, depending how critical a second model is to have for
development.

> Note 2: This might be a good place to start:
> https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/#/c/188275/

The other question is to decide on a laptop. Only the HP Elitebooks seem
to have a long shelf life, but these do not look like consumer products
and look more to be for companies if I am not mistaken.

http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/hp-probook-6475b-b5u26aw-b6p75ea-a798418.html
http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/hp-probook-655-g1-h5g82et-a1034671.html
http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/hp-probook-455-g1-h6p57ea-a962206.html

I had my hands on a Asus U38N-C4010H which was very well manufactured in
my opinion and a nice consumer laptop.

http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/asus-vivobook-u38n-c4010h-90ntia212n12925d151y-a863881.html

In the IRC channel #coreboot also the Lenovo X131e was mentioned. I have
no idea what to make of that AMD E1-1200 processor.

http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/lenovo-thinkpad-x131e-3372-1a6-a998573.html

Thanks,

Paul