[coreboot] X60: ethernet LED still on when machine is powered off or suspended

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at no-log.org
Thu Oct 2 06:37:50 CEST 2014

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 15:41:02 -0700
ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 2:10 PM, The Gluglug <info at gluglug.org.uk>
> wrote:
[...]
> > On 21/08/14 22:08, The Gluglug wrote:
> >> A little quirk I noticed. If I put the machine in suspend while an
> >> ethernet cable is plugged in to a switch (or if plugging it in
> >> after suspending), the green light from the ethernet/eth0 is still
> >> active.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >>

> > The same thing also happens while the machine is powered off, if I
> > leave the AC adapter/charger connected.
>

> and only on coreboot?
>
> I can't recall but I did have laptops that would light the LED even
> when off, I always assumed it was the ME
The only thing that is supposed to be on is the EC.
The Ethernet NIC isn't supposed to have a firmware, right?
Else it would have a flash chip connected to it, right?
It still has a very small eeprom for its configuration bits, and I think
some bits are documented in some intel datasheets.

I hope that:
* The computer is properly powered off when on battery, and that the
  NIC and its led are also off during suspend to ram.
* There is no firmware or such that I missed, because I guess that this
  NIC can do DMA.

Denis.