[coreboot] Suggested readings

David Hubbard david.c.hubbard+coreboot at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 17:54:06 CEST 2014

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 8:28 AM, Aaron Durbin <adurbin at chromium.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 9:42 AM,  <prasnik at anche.no> wrote:
> > Dear cb folks,
> >
> > I ask you some advice on material that is worth reading in order to gain
> > fundamental notions on computer architecture.
> >
> > Which book do you suggest to that purpose?
> >

> These aren't specific to x86 or any particular architecture -- just
> computer arch in general. I find them to helpful/interesting:
>

> http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Machine-Introduction-Microprocessors-Architecture/dp/1593271042
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0201633388/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>
> There are more academic books, but I think the above provide an
> interesting introduction. If you are looking for more practical books
> about a particular architecture those exist as well. However, there's
> nothing (that I know of) that encompasses the expanse that is
> historical x86 systems.

Aaron's suggestions are spot on. If you want exactly "computer
architecture" then study those books.

If you want to take a slightly off-track approach, study
http://wiki.osdev.org/Main_Page with the idea of writing an Operating
System from scratch. I realize you probably aren't going to write an
Operating System, but that knowledge is critical to understanding what
Coreboot is doing.

Good luck!
David