[coreboot] coreboot code of conduct

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Jan 21 00:50:57 CET 2015

Hi Patrick,

I noticed that my comment on the wiki talk page for the CoC seemed to be
unnoticed, that's why I'm continuing the discussion on the mailing list.

On 19.01.2015 17:13, Patrick Georgi wrote:
> Am 2015-01-19 12:52, schrieb Carl-Daniel Hailfinger:
>> Real citation needed, not just some sentiment. For example, quite a few
>> feminist blogs point to intimidating and derogatory speech/actions as
>> the primary hurdles against female participation in online communities.
> I have read no such reports about our community, but we did have some
> (relatively minor) incidents in the past that made contributors well
> less than welcome.
>
> I'd concentrate on solving our own issues first, over trying to fix
> all the world's grievances.
>
> That said, I'm not sure what bucket these incidents fall into, and I'm
> not sure if our list of examples of unsuitable behavior cover only
> "harassment". Maybe we should replace "Harassment includes:" with
> "Examples of actions we don't want to see in our community:"?

The examples in the updated CoC were copied from the "Citizen Code of
Conduct" and there are countless better lists of examples out there.
If we really want this list of examples, can we at least remove the
really vague ones which include the word "inappropriate"?

I also would like to suggest a rewording elsewhere to make the CoC sound
a bit friendlier: Change
"Check your motives: Using this code of conduct aggressively against
other people in the community might also be harassment. Behave." to
"Using this code of conduct aggressively against other people in the
community might also be harassment. Be considerate when enforcing the
code of conduct and always try to listen to both sides before passing
judgment."

Regards,
Carl-Daniel