[coreboot] [Mohon Peak] Console output on external UARTs behind PCIe

Patrick Agrain patrick.agrain at alcatel-lucent.com
Wed Mar 11 11:01:35 CET 2015

Thanks Marc and Kyösti for your hints.

As I'm just discovering coreboot and its multiple possibilities, please
apologize if my questions seems "too simple"... ;-)

A) UART Type
-------------------
 From Kconfig file in ./src/drivers/uart, the valid ID for the oxpcie is
1415:c158.
I can obtain this ID on my Startech board only when I strapped it as
"native UART" (Startech documentation), that is : memory-mapped.

 From Kconfig file in ./src/console, there is following sentence :
"Supporting multiple different types of UARTs in one build is not
supported.".
Q: Am I correct if I translate this like : "Use only memory-mapped or
IO-mapped UARTs, but not both at the same time." ?

B) Memory-mapped UART required options
 From the answers received, I would say that the required options (in
make menuconfig) would be:
- In "Generic Drivers": validate Oxford OXPCIe952 and de-validate
"Serial Port on SuperIO".

- In "Devices": Set the device and function numbers of the PCie bridge,
behind which is connected the Startech board. On Mohon Peak, it's D1-F0.
Q: What about the MMIO window base ? Is it the memory address of the
UARTs, defined by the values in the BAR registers ?

- in "Console": Validate "Serial Port Console Output".
Q: What about the index of the "Serial Port console output" ? IMHO,
there are only valid for IO-mapped UART. Correct ?

Q: Am I missing anything ?

Thanks in advance for the time you want to spent on it.
Regards,
Patrick