[SerialICE] Experiencing a qemu segfault (SOLVED) and serialice accessibility problems

Corey Osgood corey.osgood at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 04:34:58 CEST 2010

Oh! I'm not the only one seeing qemu segfault! I don't have the patch
available, but I've written a patch for my Zotac NM10 board with a
Nuvoton NCT5571D super IO. I'm trying to boot the vendor BIOS. I'm
sure that I'm using the correct clock in (48MHz) and settings, because
I can get a serial boot console in linux with the stock BIOS, and if I
look at serialice through minicom, I can see the console. If I start
qemu then start the system, I will get the same message you did
(target alife!) then something for a message about a communication
failure (0/a). It will then hang there. If I reboot it (turn it off
and back on) qemu segfaults.

I think this error is related to my null modem cable, nullmodem.com
illustrates two different types, mine is currently the type without
the CD signal connected to anything. I tried modifying it to short
pins 1 and 6 on both ends, but it doesn't seem to have worked. I'll
have another one here in a few days that hopefully does have the CD
tapped into the DTR signal.

I also had some problems trying to compile QEMU on 64-bit, oddly I
*did* get beyond those initial 2 lines (with the same cable), but it
would fail when trying to run the lua script. I couldn't get bitlib-25
to compile against Ubuntu 10.04 with lua from source, so I used
bitlib-26 at first, but it would give me an error in bit.so, trying to
call an undefined symbol, lua_pushnumber (IIRC). I then removed the
lua from source and installed Ubuntu's lua5.1 and liblua5.1 packages,
got bitlib-25 to compile (with --with-lua-suffix=5.1), compiled qemu
(after making symlinks in /usr/lib from liblua5.1.x to liblua.x), and
it would segfault about 6 lines down (during/after trying to reserve a
couple memory ranges). After that I got frustrated and installed
32-bit ubuntu.

-Corey