The wiki is being retired!
Documentation is now handled by the same processes we use for code: Add something to the Documentation/ directory in the coreboot repo, and it will be rendered to https://doc.coreboot.org/. Contributions welcome!
Lenovo X60, X60s, T60 and T60p flashing instructions.
These Lenovo laptops have a register that must be flipped before coreboot can be flashed. Detailed instructions follow.
You will need: the flashrom source, a small patch [WHAT PATCH? --rah], and the bucts utility.
- Patch flashrom to use RES1 SPI identification and spi_chip_write1 for your flash chip, as well as change the flash chip model id to fit the RES1 command. [WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? HOW DO YOU DO THIS? --rah]
flashrom -p internal:laptop=force_I_want_a_brick -r factory.bin
- This step is IMPORTANT since the factory BIOS in your machine is tied to your particular system board (or "planar" in IBM FRU terms) with a unique ID not present in factory BIOS updates.
dd if=coreboot.rom of=top64k.bin bs=1 skip=$[$(stat -c %s coreboot.rom) - 0x10000] count=64k
dd if=coreboot.rom bs=1 skip=$[$(stat -c %s coreboot.rom) - 0x20000] count=64k | hexdump
- Verify that the complete range is filled with ff bytes before proceeding! The above command must output:
0000000 ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
- If this is not the case, the coreboot image needs to be rebuilt with the second-to-last 64kbyte block unused.
dd if=top64k.bin of=coreboot.rom bs=1 seek=$[$(stat -c %s coreboot.rom) - 0x20000] count=64k conv=notrunc
flashrom -p internal:laptop=force_I_want_a_brick -w coreboot.rom
- This will be slow, and shall generate an erase error at e.g. 0x1f0000 when working with a 2 Mbyte flash chip.
- Power cycle the machine, now starting with coreboot
- Undo the flashrom patch, so that you have a stock flashrom
flashrom -p internal:laptop=force_I_want_a_brick -w coreboot.rom.
- This will successfully overwrite the entire flash chip, including the last 64k that were write protected with the factory BIOS.
These instructions were gleaned from the following mailing list threads: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.bios/69354 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.bios.flashrom/575