The wiki is being retired!
Documentation is now handled by the same processes we use for code: Add something to the Documentation/ directory in the coreboot repo, and it will be rendered to https://doc.coreboot.org/. Contributions welcome!
This page is a collection of coreboot-related documentation resources, HOWTOs, development notes, articles and papers.
This is a list of obsolete or heavily outdated documentation, any information here should be used with care.
coreboot v3 (obsolete):
coreboot v1 (obsolete):
- Anatomy of a Failover coreboot v2 Image (obsolete since CBFS)
- The EPIA-M/MII
- X11 on EPIA-M
- Configuration tool manual (from freebios/Documentation/configmanual.ps)
- Project Book, Mangrove LinuxBios from Mathieu Deschamps
- LinuxBIOS on AMD64 (PDF)
Coreboot Porting Guides
- Breaking the Chains -- Using LinuxBIOS to Liberate Embedded x86 Processors, Jordan H. Crouse, Marc E. Jones, Ronald G. Minnich.
- LinuxBIOS - Freedom for your motherboard, Alan Carvalho de Assis
- FISL 8.0 (8th Forum Internacional de Software Livre). [ pdf ]
- FSF is moving towards LinuxBIOS deployment (Russian article), Anton Borisov
- FreeVGA: Architecture Independent Video Graphics Initialization for LinuxBIOS, Li-Ta Lo, Gregory R. Watson, Ronald G. Minnich
- Doing Linux programming close to the hardware (PDF), Christer Weinigel
- LinuxBIOS at Four, Ronald G. Minnich
- Linux Journal
- Flexibility in ROM: A Stackable Open Source BIOS, Adam Agnew, Adam Sulmicki, Ronald Minnich, William Arbaugh
- USENIX 2003 Annual Technical Conference, FREENIX Track, [ HTML ]
- Supermon: High performance monitoring for Linux clusters, Ron Minnich, Los Alamos National Laboratory, and Karen Reid, University of Toronto
- LOBOS and LinuxBIOS, Cluster Research Brochure
- Prepared for SC 2000, November 4-10 2000, [ pdf ]
- The Linux BIOS, Ron Minnich, James Hendricks, and Dale Webster, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- LOBOS (Linux OS Boots Linux OS): Booting a Kernel in 32-bit Mode, Ron Minnich, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Look Ma, No Bios, Oleg Goldshmidt
- A Framework for Using Processor Cache as RAM (CAR), Eswaramoorthi Nallusamy
These books do not address LinuxBIOS specifically but provide background information useful for BIOS-level programming on PC hardware.