There are many reasons for using LinuxBIOS.
- 100% Free Software (GPL), no royalties, no license fees!
- Fast boot times (3 seconds from power-on to Linux console)
- Avoids the need for a slow, buggy, proprietary BIOS
- Runs in 32-Bit protected mode almost from the start
- Written in C, contains virtually no assembly code
- Supports a wide variety of hardware and payloads
- Further features: netboot, serial console, remote flashing, ...
Use Cases —
LinuxBIOS can be deployed in a wide range of scenarios.
- Standard desktop computers and servers
- Clusters, high-performance computing
- Embedded solutions, appliances, terminals
- Small form factor computers, Home-theater PCs (HTPC)
- No-moving-parts solutions (ROM chip as "hard drive")
- Various non-standard scenarios (e.g. FPGA in Opteron socket)