- 100% Free Software (GPL), no royalties, no license fees!
- Fast boot times (3 seconds to Linux console)
- Avoids the need for a slow/buggy/proprietary BIOS
- Runs in 32-Bit protected mode almost from the start
- Written in C, contains virtually no assembly code
- Supports many mainboards, devices, and payloads
- Further features: netboot, serial console, remote flashing, ...
- Standard desktop computers and servers
- Clusters, high-performance computing
- Set-Top-Boxes, thin clients
- Embedded solutions, appliances, terminals
- Small form factor computers, Home-theater PCs
- No-moving-parts solutions (ROM chip as "disk")
- Non-standard scenarios (e.g. FPGA in Opteron socket)