common flash hw write enable methods

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-linuxbios at benshaw.com
Wed Dec 4 16:38:00 CET 2002

> Pardon me Andrew? It happens that I got the thing to work. This was in
> 1.4.1 and under Linux, Slackware Linux 8.0 if you're curious. I simply
> plugged the file that you made into the space provided, and adjusted the
> rest of the settings to match. If you mean that the elf boot program
> that everyone is proud of, and rightfully so, does not work under Bochs,
> I'll agree. I tabled it, because I could not figure out a way to make it
> work. I figured correctly that I'd need to make a port to a particular
> motherboard to make it work for me. Oh, and what did you mean? Anyway.

The original 256k Dauphin Orasis v1 BIOS will not come up in Bochs; it seems
to get stuck in a timing loop with the PIT.  That is what I was referring to.

With the 430tx LinuxBIOS and the ELF IDE payload booter, I was able to get a
lovely kernel panic in Bochs, which is good.  Now I'm just trying to get
these damned boards to enable the reflash of the BIOS so I can use /dev/bios
and put LinuxBIOS there.

Regards,
Andrew