Booting from floppy

steven james pyro at linuxlabs.com
Mon Dec 9 09:49:00 CET 2002

Greetings,

My finding (as a commercial LinuxBIOS supplier in clusters) is that the
cost difference is quite small vs booting from cf or PXE boot, etc. The
big benefit in clusters is that the boot becomes MUCH more reliable.

LinuxBIOS never 'forgets' that serial console is needed, and never stops
for the user to press 'any key' (and no keyboard in sight).

In other cases, I find boards that have good hardware and a good value but
bugs in the BIOS make it unusable w/o LinuxBIOS.

Of course, having the source opens a number of AFAIK unexplored options
for secure netbooting.
G'day,
sjames

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

> > It's Ron's privilege to name the project as he sees fit, but when
> > people first see "LinuxBIOS", misinterpretation does seem to be
> > common. "LinuxBIOS" does *not* mean "a BIOS for Linux" - for one
> > thing, Linux does needs no BIOS. The project's original intention was
> > to put Linux in a mobo rom *instead* of a legacy PC BIOS.
>
> Personally when I first heard of LinuxBIOS I wondered what the usefulness of
> such a thing was.  Yeah fast boots, but how is that any cheaper to buy
> motherboards with DoC media than to put an 8M CF card in a CF-IDE adaptor and
> boot from that?
>
> Now in quantity (i.e. clusters) I think that LinuxBIOS is probably cheaper in
> the long run (I'm sure that Ron's done all of these analyses and so forth
> since it appears it's for government use) and I really am glad that Ron and
> the toher contributors have done what they did.  It's always embarassing to
> write off something as being fringe and then a year or so later find yourself
> asking questions about it because you need to use it yourself.  :-)
>
> Regards,
> Andrew

-------------------------steven james, director of research, linux labs
... ........ ..... ....                     230 peachtree st nw ste 701
the original linux labs                             atlanta.ga.us 30303
      -since 1995                              http://www.linuxlabs.com
                                   office 404.577.7747 fax 404.577.7743