Starting the real time clock on virgin systems

steven james pyro at linuxlabs.com
Tue Dec 10 09:19:00 CET 2002

Greetings,

It is probably a good idea to have this code in place in general (if it
can avoid doing the wrong thing if the RTC is already initialized). I've
seen boards where the clock reverts to the uninitialized state. This is
most likely whenever the battery is replaced, or in some cases where the
CMOS is cleared by jumper. In other cases, it seems to happen for no
discernable reason (could be physical vibration causing intermittant
contact w/ battery when being moved).

I do agree that it should be an option.

G'day,
sjames

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Kevin Hester wrote:
>
> > I'm in favor of option 3, but I thought I'd ask first.  I think this problem
> > would apply to any board.  The reason we haven't seen it before is that most
> > folks are running linux bios on boards that once had a standard bios.  The
> > standard bios has already 'activated' the RTC updates.
>
> how about in a new file pc80/rtc.c. That is where legacy pc files are. In
> the rtc.c file you can set up the code to do this. We'll make its
> inclusion conditional on a config variable.
>
> I actually did have this same problem on the l440gx, but never knew what
> it was ...
>
> thanks
>
> ron

-------------------------steven james, director of research, linux labs
... ........ ..... ....                     230 peachtree st nw ste 701
the original linux labs                             atlanta.ga.us 30303
      -since 1995                              http://www.linuxlabs.com
                                   office 404.577.7747 fax 404.577.7743