Why bios(generic) is slow?

Kim Jin-Kwon jk at costron.com
Sun Dec 29 09:02:00 CET 2002

Why bios(generic) is slow?Well, IMHO, that's because, normal conventional BIOS do spend much of time in
de-compressing its <<modules>>. as you can see those "modular BIOS" banner.
load one module, decomp it, execute it, report module exit status and etc..
256kb is not so vast space for even bios written in full .asm language.
and some modules require the cpu to be in real 'real mode' some others run in something like
flat mode. so there should be some resets also.
hope it helps.