RFC IDE write

steven james pyro at linuxlabs.com
Sat Nov 9 17:12:00 CET 2002

Greetings,

I'm in some final testing for the first cut of the baremetal toolkit for
LinuxBIOS, and have come to a decision point.

In one of my applications, I need to write to the IDE drive from
firmware. It was easy enough to add that to the polling driver in
LinuxBIOS. The toolkit uses the same source as LinuxBIOS itself whenever
possible.

The question:
Is it desirable to have write capability in LinuxBIOS.
Since being able to write introduces new danger, should it be turned on
only by setting an option?

As for the toolkit itself, it is about ready to commit. It is a self
contained small directory tree with it's own makefile. Any preferences on
where it goes in the LinuxBIOS tree? util/baremetal?

G'day,
sjames

--
-------------------------steven james, director of research, linux labs
... ........ ..... ....                     230 peachtree st nw ste 701