Can't get a rom image below 512k?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-linuxbios at benshaw.com
Thu Nov 14 09:10:00 CET 2002

> If all else fails, it should be possable to generate an image by just
> concatenating the etherboot .elf binary, some padding, and the two
> linuxbios.strip binaries together.

The _two_ linuxbios.strip binaries?  I only see the one in my build tree.  I
was going to try and use mkflashimg but I think I need a DoC bit or two I
haven't figured out yet.  :-)

> recent objdump (that supports i8086 arch) with -D (disassemble all) can
> help to see where the pieces should go. Just remember that the top of the
> rom will appear at f0000 at boot time in real mode. Once it gets through
> __protected_start, you'll be up at the top of memory in i386 arch
> (ffffxxxx or in primary linuxbios at fffexxxx). One of these days, I'll
> need to write this up :-)

:-)  I am an old x86 hacker (real and protected modes), but I haven't actively
used my old knowledge for several years.  It's embarassing how much I've
lost.  I will do what I can along the way to try and document it as I
(re)learn it (especially the boot process that LinuxBIOS takes).

Regards,
Andrew