usb root FS?

Antony Stone Antony at Soft-Solutions.co.uk
Sat Oct 5 15:32:00 CEST 2002

On Saturday 05 October 2002 6:35 pm, Christopher Bergeron wrote:

> Is it possible to use a DOC and a USB drive as the root filesystem?
> Has anyone ever attempted this?  I understand that it not be fastest
> thing in the world, but it would be neat...
>
> Thoughts anyone?

I really don't see why this shouldn't be possible.   Compile your kernel with
USB support, SCSI emulation etc, and it should be able to mount the root fs
from USB (and find it faster than a hard drive too - no need to spin up).

If I wasn't so busy getting ready for Linux Expo London next week I'd give it
a go....

Antony.

--

Success is a lousy teacher.   It seduces smart people into thinking they
can't lose.

 - William H Gates III