LinuxBIOS in 512KB flash

Hieu T. Tran htran at viosoft.com
Wed Oct 9 01:19:00 CEST 2002

Ron and Eric,

Thank you for the response.

The problem that we're having is that the generated romimage
positions reset_vector / ROMTOP at 0xFFFF0, resulting in an
image size of ~ 1MB.  Put another way, reset_vector is at offset
1MB on the flash device.  At boot, the system fetches the
address at 0xFFFF0, and executes the code there.  As this
address is truncated to 0x7FFF0 on our platform, or offset 512KB
of flash, which is more or less random junk rather than the
intended reset_vector.

To work around this problem, we're trying various methods to
force reset_vector / ROMTOP to 0x7FFF0.  It appears that there
are several ways to do this, ranging from adorning the build
config file with various ROMTOP, ROMSIZE, and PAYLOAD_SIZE settings,
to providing a customized ldscript.ld file for the mainboard.

What I'd like to know is if there is a simple way to accomplish this.
Also, I would be much oblidged for pointer to any document, if
exists, that prescribes how to construct Config file for a given
platform.  I suspect other developers would enjoy this as well.

-- HT