IPMI support in Linux

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Sat Oct 19 12:46:00 CEST 2002

Andrew Ip <aip at cwlinux.com> writes:

> 	Does anyone know if IPMI works under LinuxBIOS?  AFAIK, there is a Linux
>
> driver patch but dunno if it still works under LinuxBIOS.

Which part of IPMI.

IPMI is a weird spec where all of the parts seem optional
that I have not seen on a stable production board.  There is the
L440gx but I would not call that stable.

I have do not have good feelings about intel delivering hardware where
accessing the i2c bus with any noise locks of the i2c controller.  Not
planning to fix it, and then planning to have extra hardware
monitoring your system state via i2c.  I do not see how
you can build a stable system that way.

The fact that there is some semi-standard and people are starting
adopt it is good.  It means things like temperature monitoring etc
should get easier.  But only if people actually implement something
sane.  I have trouble seeing designs with an onboard microcontroller
as sane.

Eric