movnti

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Fri Oct 25 12:58:00 CEST 2002

steven james <pyro at linuxlabs.com> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> Recent ramtest and spotcheck.inc use the movnti instruction to bypass the
> cache when writing.
>
> gas 2.9.5 handles everything but that instruction.

One version of binutils had a bug where it would put
junk at the end of assembly language files.  I think it was
2.9.5  I upgraded to avoid that problem, and to be able to easily use the
new instricutions.

> 1. don't use movnti
> 2. make it configurable
> 3. shut up and update binutils :-)

Currently this code is set to only be used on a P4.
We are writing code in assembly.  Not having tools that
work on the machine is a royal pain, so I figure updating binutils
is worth it.

Eric