getting DMA to work (non-linux bios related)

GNUOrder gnuorder at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Sep 18 03:13:01 CEST 2002

I was working on trying to get this box to turn on DMA for the drives and we
get an error:  We used the stock 2.4.18-3smp kernel from redhat 7.3 and also
2.4.19 from source.  The motherboard is a dual P4 tyan, I didn't catch the
model number.

We double checked the DMA settings and enabled an ugly hack (their term),
still no go.  From what it looks like, there is something with the ide
controller at boot time that prevents the kernel from being able to set DMA.