OK, I can finally talk about it

John HEARNS John.Hearns at cern.ch
Tue Sep 24 03:09:01 CEST 2002

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Ronald G Minnich wrote:

> We're building a 1024-node linuxbios cluster with Dual-P4 systems and
> Myrinet. No disks on the nodes. Single System Image via bproc. Monitoring
> with Supermon. Plus lots of other stuff we hope to be showing in the next
> year. LNXI is the vendor.
>
> In other words, the idea we had 3 years ago has now hit the big time:
>
> http://www.lnxi.com/cgi-bin/news/newsboy.pl?sa_01=opt_500&sub_cat=0517001537320032
>
> So, we did it! I mean all of us -- the people on this list.
>
> One question I keep getting from the Big Computer Vendors: "how many nodes
> will this sell this year? How much money?" Well, this year, linuxbios will
> sell at least 2500 or so dual-P4 nodes, not counting all the other types
> of nodes currently selling. And, though it is a small number, total
> linuxbios cluster node sales this year are over $16M, up from $0M last
> year.

Congratulations!

I've been interested in Linuxbios from the point of view of installing,
and configuring large compute farms. I've been doing this on my own time,
with some of my own kit, most recently with Antony in Ireland.

This is exactly what I needed to hear - we can point towards a real, live
working cluster using these cutting edge techniques. It really does make
a difference betwene saying "Hey - here's a great idea" to saying "Hey -
Los Alamos are doing this stuff!"

John Hearns